Next week: The Collective Wisdom of Mendocino Rotary, Part 1: Career transitions, an interactive presentation by Heather Paulsen and Kevin Williams.
This week’s meeting was called to order by President John Cottle.
Thoughts for the Day (there were several today!):
- The Russians Are Coming! “See this movie,” recommended Jody Stickel.
- The Graduate. “See this theater production,” recommended Pete Rose.
- Robert Frost said, “By working 8 hours a day faithfully, you may eventually get to be boss and work 12 hours a day!”
We had one visiting Rotarian today: Ruth Sparks.
- Pete is happy that he won big at poker last week!
- Jeffrey is happy to report that his 7-week vacation with family in Bali was fantastic, and he’s happy to be home.
- Liliana is happy that she had Internet service throughout our recent outage!
- Brandt spent two happy weeks with his wife in England.
- Kevin was happy that the Internet and phones were down – a nice break!
- Heather had a happy two-week family reunion trip to Ontario, Canada!
- John C is happy to not have to do The View anymore (Heather’s back), and at a recent conference in Texas, the temps stayed below a happy 70 degrees!
Wilma Tucker reported that John T. had his post-op exam and is recovering well. He’s been cleared to start physical therapy!
- Hole sponsors ($50) are still needed for the Aug. 16 Golf Tournament. Volunteers, too (e-mail Jennifer to find out what role is yours!). Susan Weaver, our former Rotarian who now lives in Maine, sent specialty mustards from her new home region as a raffle prize! Way to stay involved, Susan!
- Board Meetings will be the 2nd Monday of the month at the Mendocino Hotel at noon. This month’s meeting, however, will be the 3rd Monday, on 8/18/14.
- We are invited to join Fort Bragg Rotary at their picnic on 8/23/14; RSVPs are required. Contact Prez John to find out how to RSVP, and what type of dish to bring to the picnic (appetizer or dessert).
- The Flynn Creek Circus is performing 6 times this weekend under the big top in Friendship Park.
- Winesong, the Hospital Foundation’s prime fundraiser for our hospital, is on Sept. 6, and needs volunteers! Please contact Jamie at 961-4924.
- A discussion was started about RSVPing if members are unable to attend our weekly meetings, since attendance varies a lot and sometimes we have too much or too little food. The Board will continue this discussion; please attend the Board meeting if you wish to share your ideas on this matter.
Jody Stickel, a commercial lending officer for the Savings Bank of Mendocino County, provided an overview of the Bank’s 111-year history and how it has served our community. Here are some highlights from Jody’s presentation:
- The Savings Bank of Mendocino County was founded in 1903. The Fort Bragg branch opened in 1970, and Mendocino’s branch opened in 1977.
- The Bank has about $960 million in assets, and 300 employees.
- Savings Bank is in the top 5% of community banks nationwide in terms of its equity position.
- Jody explained the Federal Reserve policy, and reviewed the Bank’s Statement of Conditions – hey, it was more exciting than you’d think! I learned, for example, why a bank’s deposits are considered liabilities rather than assets, and how banks loan money to each other at the end of each day.
- Savings Bank needs to make more loans. There are three types: installment loans, mortgage loans, and commercial loans (with the latter being the “bread and butter” for the bank).
Raffle winners were: Jeffrey, and Jody, neither of whom drew a joker… 🙁
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.