Next two weeks: we are DARK for Christmas and New Year’s Day. Our next regular meeting will be January 8, 2015. See you next year!
Prez John Cottle opened the meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance.
Thought for the Day: “What I don’t like about office Christmas parties, is looking for a job the next day.” – Phyllis Diller
Today’s guests included Gary’s wife Joanna, and Donna’s husband Chris.
Jerry K. was fined for both an anniversary and a birthday — a double whammy! Several others were celebrating birthdays or anniversaries, too, but not both!
- Jerry: happy to report that he went to Costa Rica and New Orleans, and had a great time.
- Pete: wishes everyone very happy holidays and a happy healthy new year. Thanks, Pete!
- Cornelia: happy she had her birthday Sunday.
- Gary: happy he and his wife will be going on vacation for 9 days over Christmas!
- John C.: happy that the tree lighting was such a fun, successful event.
John C. reports that Wilma is at home recovering, but it feels very slow… she is ready to feel better, and looks forward to joining our meetings again in the near future. Also, Betty is doing better every day. Good news!
- Harold and his committee have finished their initial review of our club’s bylaws. They will bring them to the club for review in January or February.
- Harold will take over as club treasurer in January.
- Cornelia announced that the Mendocino Rotary Foundation has received a $5K gift from Chatter Bischoff, to run a contest in the community to get input and develop a vision for what should happen with Rotary Park. The money will be for the campaign and prizes. Annie and Kira volunteered to work with Cornelia on this effort.
- The club will be Dark for the next two weeks, as Christmas and New Year’s Day fall on Thursdays — our next regular meeting is 1/8/15. There is a Board meeting scheduled for 1/12/15 at noon at the Mendocino Hotel; all are welcome, please bring $10 to cover lunch.
- International Club — will meet in mid-February. Jeffry is chairing this committee.
- Crab Feed tickets for the St. Anthony’s benefit are sold out for Friday 1/23/15, and some tickets are still available for Saturday 1/24/15. Proceeds from this event benefit St. Anthony’s church and the nonprofits they support.
Tom Honer arranged for the New Four to come in and sing holiday carols to us on behalf of Gloriana. What a talented group! Among the songs were: Let It Snow; a spiritual Whisper, Baby Born Today; O Holy Night; O Come All Ye Faithful; Deck the Halls; Coventry Carol; and Christmas Medley.
The amazing harmonies and talent of the New Four definitely got us in the holiday spirit!
Finemaster Tom then asked many difficult multiple-choice questions about Christmas carols, which stumped us all. Thank you, Tom!
Raffle winner: Erich won the $20 pot, and donated it to Marie as part of our club’s Christmas gift to her — we passed a collection pot for a gift from the club in appreciation for her service all year long. Thank you, Marie, for all you do for us!