There were no visiting Rotarians or guests of Rotarians and the turnout was very light (less than 20).
John Innes delivered a Sunshine Report: Jerry Karabensh’s surgery for a compressed nerve in his neck was successful, but the day he was to be discharged, he apparently got a bug of some kind that left him with — among other things — leg problems. Jerry is at UCSF in San Francisco. Bruce saw Wilma outside her home at Palette Drive (she was upright and waved). Dean was suffering from side effects of a flu shot and is down for a day or two. Shirley Watson is also ill with bronchitis.
Jody announced he has hired a comedian from the Comedy Club in San Francisco for the evening entertainment. He encouraged everyone to come Friday, Feb. 6 and reminded us the club is dark on the 5th, the day before. Dinner is Tri-Tip, Chicken or Portebella Mushroom for Vegetarians. Cost is $35 / person; please bring check or cash to the door (upstairs at the Hill House).
Bruce passed around a volunteer sheet for sign ups for our big March 7 fundraiser. Tom Honer jumped in to offer help with food, while Pete Rose drew applause for donating $500 toward two table sponsorships (we need 22 @ $250 each). Pete also will take the lead in getting other sponsors. Gary said each Rotarian will be responsible for selling (or buying) two $50 tickets, solicit a raffle prize valued at $25+ and donating a bottle of wine with a value of $20+. Gary will be selling tickets at Mendocino Hardware store. More details at future meetings.
Program – What You Don’t Know About Mendocino Rotarians
Everyone kicked in a dollar, then Bruce asked “who did ….” type questions to anyone who wanted to answer. If you got the right answer, you got a dollar (everyone left the money in the club coffers).
Here are the questions and answers those who missed the meeting (BTW, no one won the pot which was about $42).
- Who hiked the entire 212-mile John Muir Trail and dove on shipwrecks in Alaska – Brandt
- Who rode his motorcycle 6,000 miles across Europe after college? – Roger
- Who was part of a US Government team sent to Slovakia in 1995 to assist with health care reform. – Bruce
- Who raises bees and Japanese maples? – Matt
- Who plays drums and guitar and has played in a rock and roll band – Clay.
- Who grew up in Europe – Cornelia, Erich, and Guenter
- Who has 9 brothers and sisters – Cornelia and Kathleen
- Who, as a teenager, ran a automotive garage in Squaw Valley? – Dean
- Who lived on a boat and sailed around the world for four years before settling in Mendocino and opening a clothing design business. –Donna
- Who flew 100 fighter aircraft combat missions during the Korean War and then served two combat tours in Vietnam? Frank
- Who has been married 66 years? Frank and Beverly
- Who was a the director of operations for 21 Grocery Outlet Food Stores in Ashville, N,C.? – Gary
- Who grew up on a 60-acre farm? – Gary
- Which members have PhD’s: Joe, Guenter and Wilma /physics (Joe) and x-ray astronomy (Guenter); Education (Wilma).
- Who worked at IBM for 34 hours as computer repair technician, instructor, manager and systems engineer? – Harold.
- Who was a peace corp volunteer in the dominican republic? – Heather
- Who has had 5 court cases before the California Supreme Court, four of which he won as a member of the California Attorney General’s staff.
- Who was in the 3rd Marine Military Police Battalion in Vietnam (hint: he became the pastor for a small village after the Viet Cong killed their pastor). – Fr Lou
- Who went to college to become an engineer, was involved in anti-war protests, then served as a medic in Vietnam near the DMZ? – Prez John (Jeffry also became and engineer and was among the protesters at Berkeley.
- Who holds the patent for the first digital stop watch AND produced the first consumer digital stopwatch? – John Innes. One passion: flying radio controlled planes … if you see drones flying around here, you’ll know who is at the controls.
- Who prepared a land use and transportation model for Lube – jana (phonetic spelling), the largest city in Slovenia, formerly Yugoslavia – Jeffry.
- His passion is eating good food and traveling in his RV – Jody
- Who worked at Lawrence Livermore Lab where he developed a neutron defraction capability utilizing a nuclear reactor. – Joe Sparks
- Who has taken cooking classes in France, Italy England, Thailand, Vietnam and the U.S. – Jerry Karabensh
- Who was a blackjack dealer at Harrah’s and a preschool teacher? Kathleen
- Who was VP of a customer service for a Fortune 100 company? – Kevin
- Who served as Events/Conference Producer for the California Institute of the Arts. – Lindsey
- Who was the 1st Botanical Gardens Store Manager – Marietta
- Who has worked for the same firm – a rarity these days – for 45 years? Pete Rose.
- Who worked in heating and air conditioning for 13 years before opening an insurance business on the Coast? Ray.
- Who was general manager of a fine dining restaurant who loves to hunt and cook wild game? – Sean
- Who owns the Mendocino Sports Club in FB? – Travis
- Who has won numerous awards for horse jumping at American Horse Show Association competitions? – Pam Hudson.
- Who is a Board member of the local Ladies Golf Club in Little River – Kira
- Who is the former owner of Purity Store in FB – Tom Honer
- Who was an adjunct professor at UC Fullerton in the school Administration and special education and a Director of principals for a school district – Wilma